EDF's Doom Mapping Thread

Killerratte

Ediot
Reaction score
Releasebild.png

Akoopasoup - Free Lyle is a three map WAD with classic Doom gameplay. It was originally planned to be an EDF-styled map with Schnookums (from EDF2) holding Lyle (also from EDF2) hostage. Since I'm obviously way too late now, I've removed the whole Schnookums thing, but kept the turtle name. There is also, like in my previous map (see below) an Encyclopedia Dramatica symbol built into the map

The wad requires a ZDoom-based port like Zandronum or GZDoom to run and a Doom2.wad (obviously). The maps can all be pistol started, have been tested thoroughly and can be quite tough. I've made sure to include all difficulty settings.

Designed for no crouching and no jumping, Freelook not required. Cooperative play is possible, but not tested.

Gameplay time: Map01 & 02 - 10 minutes each, Map03 - 30 to 45 minutes.

Empfangshalle.png Gelbe Halle.png Großer Raum.png Krötenraum.png Lagerraum.png Tech Zitadelle.png Techhalle.png Verbrennungsraum.png

Story

Demons have blasted through your house wall and took your pet turtle Lyle. Fight your way to the infested Tech Citadel that poisons the skies and rescue your friend.

Further info

I've been working on this little project since 2014, but only did serious progress in the last 4 months, when I decided to finally finish it. Map03 was the first one I worked on, but was the last I've finished, because I changed it a lot over the years, it is also the largest of the three.

The WAD features a Doom-style soundtrack by YouTube musician JD Herrera https://www.youtube.com/user/az0919 . I've rearranged and edited his music to fit the gameplay.

Here is the old title picture I made back in the Schnookums days:

FreeLyle PS.png

A certain part of Map03 has been designed by Endsenten, I used those designs and created a map section based on it.

map.png Map03 Endsenten.PNG

Download:

#1 Dropbox: https://www.dropbox.com/s/o8h0yth6uoeql0x/Akoopasoup.zip?dl=0

#2 Mega: https://mega.nz/file/ysdgRCxQ#Y1jyG9hGGbi4LkCxP4_6qt4SKjfHfg66wsFWD3B89Qg

Here are all three maps on full display:

Map01.PNG Map02.PNG Map03.PNG

My playthrough:

I hope you guys enjoy my little project, even if there's no Schnookums-killing in it anymore. :hammer:

Last edited:

Killerratte

Ediot
Reaction score
Since my old post was deleted with EDF2, here's the original HAM.wad from 2013.

HAM Wad Map.png

Außenbereich.png Roter Flur.png Falle.png Serverraum.png Hubraum 2.png Innenbereich.png

HAM screenshot.png ham wad screenshot.png

Download:

#1 Mega: https://mega.nz/file/HtlnnQyK#y6_YTQzsFbXVtIR8JKaElagyyezczma3TOcugUcK4vs

#2 idgames: https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom2/g-i/ham

Last edited:

Likeicare

Always right
Reaction score
........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Witty

Dramacrat
Reaction score
Shit man this brings back memories of when I first joined and everyone was going on about "#FreeLyle" and "#BanSchnookums" and I had no fucking clue what was going on. Apparently Lyle taunted Schnookums by posting a bestiality pic of a ferret licking cum off a human penis, which Schnookums responded by reporting it to Zaiger and he banned Lyle. I think that was the beginning of Schnookums being EDF2's public enemy #1 throughout 2014 and 2015. Lyle was eventually unbanned but I heard stuff about how he was a creepy fat pedophile or something.

A Fucking Box

Site Pwner
Reaction score
this is so awesome man, i remember you streaming in 2015 or sometime close to that with me being the only viewer and you were drawing something, then you changed to editing this wad, good times. I'll check it out tomorrow or so

Killerratte

Ediot
Reaction score
I'm just going to leave this here.

I've released a new map at Doomworld that I built out of 4chan comments. Yes, that's how far I've fallen.

1.png 2.png 3.png
4.png 5.png 6.png

Requires a Zdoom port like GZDoom / Zandronum. (so basically the same shit as above)

#1 Dropbox: https://www.dropbox.com/s/8q93bsmo9yyk1i5/Toughnut.zip?dl=0

#2 Mega: https://mega.nz/file/elMnQQxJ#UIeUCd3Q5lQCnU4563lNhLd-jkLJdvXO6V5Ilq1jkjs

Killerratte

Ediot
Reaction score
I've released another map at Doomworld. If anyone remembers this picture:

Bauplan.jpg

Someone here posted this back on EDF2, many years later I built an entire new map out of it.

Start.png Caco.png Runder Raum.png
Brennöfen.png Revenant Falle.png Halle.png

Requires a Zdoom port like GZDoom / Zandronum. (like always, because I fucking hate mapping with texture limitations)

#1 Dropbox: https://www.dropbox.com/s/d46gp10shldo8y7/Baloney.zip?dl=0

#2 Mega: https://mega.nz/file/X8NSGLRC#ge6gZlz8ZDp14misxZWFf-j8LWLR6B1KlRGpgzDqh8A

moogs

Ediot
Reaction score
Baloney* was great and looked good, I notice you practice tight control of the ammunition supply, I prefer it when the floor is littered with ammo boxes

Killerratte

Ediot
Reaction score
If you give the player too much ammo, the (average sized) map becomes too easy and monsters redundant. The worst thing any mapper can do is give the player a Super Shotgun right from the start. It's OP as fuck (damage of 2,5 full shotgun blasts, same as one rocket) and the only way to give the (modern) player a challenge at this point is to triple the amount of monsters you encounter or do really nasty traps.

:sadpepe:

The only place where too much ammo is always required are Slaughtermaps. Fuck Slaughtermaps.

moogs

Ediot
Reaction score
I'm making a wad based on Elon tweets, just managed to make the first level, but I'll share once I'm done making at least five maps.
The first map is super easy with lots of ammunition and experiments on the conveyor belt technology of the BOOM engine.

edit: the sprites and textures are gonna be lit

Top Bottom